Beginning the week of March 13th (weather dependent), the city will be revamping three of our existing downtown city parking lots. The project, to be completed by R.J. Berry Jr., Inc., includes the following locations:
- Public Parking Lot behind the Public Library (Marion St.)
- Senior Center Parking Lot. (Smith St.)
- Public Parking Lot behind Roadhouse Restaurant (Smith St.)
Parking Lot Exhibits
- The parking lot behind the library will be repaved and restriped to mimic the existing layout. A new garbage, recycling and organic material enclosure will be added to west end of the lot. Conduits are also being installed as we plan for future EV charging infrastructure.
- The Senior Center parking lot work will include the reconfiguration of the layout, which will add 4 new spaces. It will be repaved and restriped, with landscaping and other minor improvements included.
- The parking lot behind Roadhouse restaurant includes the most significant redesign and construction work. The lot will be reconstructed with a new single entrance off Smith St. This will allow for more space for vehicles to maneuver, as well as adding 8 new parking spaces. In addition, lighting improvements, drainage changes, and garbage, recycling and organic material enclosures will be added to meet the growing needs of the area, which includes commercial, residential and institutional uses.
This project was adopted as part of the City's capital improvement program, approved by City Council with the FY2023 annual budget. The contract was awarded by the Council during their regular meeting on March 1, 2023.
The Library parking lot and Senior Center parking lot will begin first, and be done at the same time, while the larger lot on Smith St. will be done separately due to the more extensive nature of the work. We are also cognizant of the impact of having all three lots under construction at the same time.
The timeline for work is being finalized as we coordinate the construction to avoid any conflicts with the annual Car Show (April 14-15) and Swedish Festival (May 18-20). Please check back for additional updates. Adjacent property/business owners will be notified as well, and we will do our best to limit disruptions.
Parking Alternatives During Construction
Those visiting the area will be able to utilize available on-street public parking, as well as the private lot at First Baptist Church.
- Alternative options during Library lot work: On-street parking on Marion St., Ellis St. (NW of Marion St.), California St. (SW of Draper towards the Train Depot as well as NW near Deli Casa restaurant).
- Alternative options during Senior Center work: On-street parking on Smith St. as well as Ellis St. (between Marion St. and Lincoln St.). In addition, the public lot near Roadhouse as well as public lot behind Los Pepes (both accessible off Smith St.) will be open during construction.
- Alternative options during Smith St. Public lot: On-street parking on Smith St. as well as Ellis St. (between Marion St. and Lincoln St.). Senior Center parking lot. Public Parking lot behind Los Pepes. On-street parking SW of Draper on Smith St. (around Coffee Pot Park).
- In addition, the First Baptist Church has graciously agreed to allow the public to utilize their private parking lots, located off Draper St. and Washington St.
The City's other downtown public parking lot, located behind Los Pepes restaurant (also off Smith St.), will be reconstructed in the near future. The city is partnering with Fresno County Rural Transit Agency to redesign the lot and install solar carport infrastructure that will include EV charging stations.